Wednesday, March 22, 2017

hiberfil.sys

OMG, I found a file in the root drive in my HDD which is so huge and i don't know what it does..

The files are hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys. Though there were other files but these were the giant ones and i was really curious to free up my HDD from it.



When in Doubt.. Google it:)

After some googling i found out that the culprit is my habit of hibernating my machine very often.

The file hiberfil.sys was something which actually stores the current state of my machine and by state i mean memory.

Now to delete this file you need to disable the hibernate mode and then probably try deleting it.

Okay so where to disable it. Of course there is a GUI version of the option available. Its a good exercise to find it :):)

Lets do some command line scoring.

So open a command prompt and mind you that you have to be the obvious guy "The Administrator"

powercfg -h off


This is the command which will help you disable the hibernation mode. yes you guessed it right. the 'on' switch will help you bring back the same.

Voila the file is gone as soon as you turn this option off.




Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment